Update, Monday, 7:20 a.m.

Pennsylvania State Police said the crash occurred when a 72-year-old Stewartstown man lost control of a his vehicle on a right-hand curve on Winterstown Road.

Charles Jackson, driving a Jeep Liberty, traveled into oncoming traffic on the road and struck a northbound Nissan Altima, driven by 60-year-old Patricia Freed of Felton, striking it head-on, police said.

Freed died from injuries suffered in the crash and was pronounced dead by York County Deputy Coroner Onalee Gilbert.

Jackson was wearing a seat belt; Freed was not wearing a seat belt, police said.

Reported Sunday:

A North Hopewell Township woman died Sunday afternoon after a two-vehicle head-on crash, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Patricia Freed, 60, was pronounced dead at the scene of the 12:50 p.m. crash on Winterstown Road, according to Deputy Coroner Onalee Gilbert.

An autopsy will be performed Monday morning, Gilbert said.

State police, who investigated the crash, had not released any details - including if anyone else was injured - by Sunday evening.

The crash was near Faraway Drive and Church Road in an area of Winterstown Road that is flanked by farms and sprawling front lawns and that has several twists and turns.

John Shelley II, who owns a nursery at 13579 Winterstown Road, said he learned of the crash through word of mouth and came to the road to take a look.

Shelley said that, years ago, there were several severe crashes in the area.

"Back in '90, '91 . . . there must've been four or five wrecks during the six months we were under construction," he said. "That whole summer, it was one accident after another."

Shelley recalled that people in "souped-up" muscle cars would race side-by-side on the country road, hit the curve just south of his business and roll onto their roofs.

"We had to go running down the road with fire extinguishers," he said. "We had to kick the windows out, and pull them out of there."

He said that, after those crashes, troopers and North Hopewell Township police officers patrolled the road on a regular basis, which cut down on the speeding and, ultimately, the crashes.

"This is the first one I've seen in years," he said.